The family of an elderly woman, who sustained severe burns in a bathroom due to lack of care, has been awarded an undisclosed settlement of compensation.
The incident happened on the 15th February 2012, when Jessie King – then aged ninety-two – was in her home in Rotherham being visited by two carers. The carers visited daily to help Mrs King with everyday tasks, such as showering. However, during this visit, Mrs King fell when the carers were preparing a shower for her, and landed such that her back was against the hot radiator.
The carers then contacted Rothercare, a home care provider, for assistance in treating Mrs King after her fall, However, they did not think to turn off the radiator which Mrs King was leaning against. After the specialists from Rothercare arrived, Mrs King was helped up. She proceeded to shower as the carers made breakfast, and then left.
Later that day, however, Mrs King’s injuries were noted by her daughter, Denise, and a district nurse. An ambulance was arranged to take Jessie to the Northern General Hospital, where she treated at the Burns Unit. Skin grafts were undertaken on the area where she was burned.
A compensation claim for the burns was made on Mrs King’s behalf by her daughter, Jean, as Mrs King suffers from dementia and as such cannot make a claim for herself. It was made against Nestor Primecare Services Ltd, trading under Saga Home Care, where the two carers who failed to prevent Mrs King’s burns were employed.
Though Nestor Primecare Services Ltd denied any fault in the incident, they did agree to pay an out-of-court settlement of compensation for Mrs King’s injuries. Mrs King sadly passed away in May 2013.
One of Mrs King’s daughters commented after the announcement of the settlement that “The injuries mum suffered were absolutely horrendous and we can’t believe that her carers failed to notice she was lying against a hot radiator and that she had suffered severe burns. We are absolutely shocked that Nestor Primecare Services Ltd has continued to deny liability for the injuries and that they have never apologised for what happened.”